Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Dill Weed!




When Dave learned that Dill Weed was actually a spice, he was amazed. He thought it was just a label to use for being rude to other kids in elementary school! Anyway, my MIL makes a top-notch Dill Weed Bread, and when we were living with them during the remodel she taught me how to make it! :) So the other day I ventured out on my own with my new bread mixer that my dad bought me for Christmas. My mom caught me in my apron! he he! She snapped a pic of the miraculous process of Lacee turning into a bread makin' fool!



Here's the recipe in case you get the "bread makin' bug"...
1 TBS active dry yeast
1/2 C warm water
2 C sour cream (or yogurt)
2 small onions, finely chopped (optional)
1/2 C sugar
4 TBS butter, softened
2 eggs
1 TBS dill weed (or dill seed)
2 tsp salt
6 to 7 C. all-purpose flour
1. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sour cream, onion, sugar, butter, eggs, dill weed, salt and 2 cups of flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes (or 2-3 minutes in a bread mixer). Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm area until doubled. About 1 hour.
3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Shape each portion into a 20 inch rope. Place ropes on a large greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
4. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. YEILD: 2 loaves
Another great tip. Leave some M&M's on the counter so your toddler can climb up and keep herself occupied! :)

5 comments:

Gatlin Gang said...

And you didn't think you could bake! It is beautiful. Thanks for the recipe.

Goodrich said...

LOVED IT!!! SNARFED (Is that really a word I just used?)it down. It was wonderful seeing you the other day, you are a great woman- LOVE YA

Robbie said...

I'm going to try the recipe but I have to say I'm sure I won't like the bread as much I enjoyed calling other kids dill weed in elementary. Since you've brought back that memory I hope you have a great day, DILL WEED! Love you (Dill Weed)!

Guzman Gang said...

Your bread looks DELICIOUS!! Your kitchen looks great too!

MaMa eNCHaNTeD said...

Hey thanks for visitin' my blog and posting. It's fun to stay in touch, plus I like to hear what others have to say. BTW your slide show is both very darling and very funny, you guys can pull some killer faces. The link you referred me to is having a problem It doesn't have any recent posts since 2002 and even that one is weird. I would like to see it. Is that a pic of Corbin in preschool? I can't believe he's so big and your baby too, no wait Corbin should be the baby.

video for g-pa jessop