"After I posted that slide show of the "glasses" I started thinking about my Grandma Allen. She was such a fun lady. I miss her badly! She could turn a miserable day into a "no bigger deal" day. She could make you feel total love, even when she might be a little upset at you.The reason the glasses brought back memories was a story I once heard from my mother. And then after that story came to my mind...I couldn't stop taking a journey down memory lane. I might start rattling on and on...but these are some of those times I remember about Gram.
Once a upon a time Grandma and Grandpa headed off to DI (desert industries) for their normal walk through to find treasures day. Grandpa didn't feel up to going in...but that never stopped Gram, so off she went. She headed towards a box of glasses and found many to her liking. Especially this one pair. These glasses that she found were amazing! They fit her perfectly, they seemed to of been made just for her. She tried on a few more pair, but couldn't resist the glasses that were "for her". After listening to the call "buy me" she headed up to check out only realized that they weren't marked with a price. She, of course, bargined with the lady to give them to her for one dollar, because the rest were marked the same. I imagine she walked out of DI with her shoulders held back and her head up high. The thought of something so perfect for only a buck. Once she reached the car, she pulled them out to show off her find. While presenting them to Grandpa, like a proud mother might do with their first born, she filled him in on the etails of her red light special.
Grandma: "Look Gerald, I found the most perfect glasses for just a dollar. They are even the right perscription"
As she hands them over for a closer observation. This is what I heard his response was:
Grandpa: "Hell Marva, you went off and bought your own glasses".
(When she went in she was wearing glasses. While inside trying on the other glasses she must of set hers down and not realized it. When low and behold, she finally came acrossed her most perfect glasses that were made, especially for her. She coddled them, loved them, admired them and then bought them for a dollar.)
My Grandma was always such the Bargin hunter. She loved to go to Arby's for their 5 for $5 specials. She would bring over about 10 or more sandwiches, because they were on sale. Man, that's where I get it.
My mom told me of a story about my Grandmagoing into a store to find all of their snow boots on sale. She bought them all....with the thought of all of us kids having something to wear when we come to visit her during the winter. The only problem was..most of them were size 13 or so. It's the dad gum thought that counts, I would say.
Something else I remember about my Grandma was her hands. They were always always soft, tan and her nails were painted. Let me explain my Grandma...she was the hardest working farmers wife you could meet. Her hands were strong and constantly busy helping someone with a fishing line, making dinner, tying ice skates, rappin you on the head, milking the cows or whistling at the refs. I loved her hands.
Another fun memory of her is when me and my mother escorted her to The Price is Right. It was a life long dream to go and whistle at ol' Bob Barker. She was the hit of the day. The people LOVED her. She didn't get picked to be a contestant, but because we were in line at 4am we got seats right up front. What a dream for her. She had Bobby all to herself, it seemed.
He would asked her questions about where she was from and what she liked. I can't remember how it got to this point, but I distinctly remember her howling like a coyote at him.
OH...I loved it! She had a special shirt made up for herself, but left it at home. So, of course we had to make a few of our own. I didn't realize how our shirts could of been misrepresenting, until after the taping. OOPS!
Let me explain:
She is the Worlds greatest fan. She would make sure to attend just about every one of her grandkids ball games. When attending one of our games she would yell a phrase that she became known for. It was: "down the middle boys" while we were shooting a foul shot. Back to the price is right.
So, us being the innocent woman that were are...thought we would write that on a shirt for her. UM...it actually read "Come on down the middle" with an arrow that wasn't to tasteful place (on accident).
And then mine wasn't any better. It read: "for a good time, pick my Granny". WHat the Heck! No wonder we didn't get picked. Old Bobby probably thought we were a bunch of wild woman trying to pick up on his leathery self. Well, it was fun anyhow!
MY list can go on and on..but I won't. I might have to save it for another day."
1 comments:
Oh...Lacee...the signature of our Grandma. Yodelin and Coke! Miss that lady!
Post a Comment